Dog friendly adventure travel can present some unique challenges. Here are some dog-friendly places and products that Bailey and I have enjoyed! (And before Bailey, old man Duke!)
Always call ahead to verify pet rules and fees. Pet fees can vary from zero to $75 a night, so as much as I prefer to be spontaneous on a road trip, it helps to do a little research ahead of time. Our preferred hotel chain is IHG, specifically Holiday Inn Express as they usually have the most reasonable pet policies and a good rewards program. I know La Quinta is also quite dog friendly, but I haven’t stayed at any of those yet.
- Holiday Inn – Frisco, CO. We’ve stayed here several times before and after our mountain adventures. Dog friendly and the laundry room is a bonus!
- Staybridge Suites – Denver/South-Park Meadows. Pleasant surprise on the East side of Denver. Almost exactly as far as I can drive in one day from Illinois.
- Topaz Lodge – Buena Vista, CO.
- Colter Bay Cabins – Grand Teton National Park. Back when I was terrified to camp in bear country, I ponied up almost $200 for a cabin. Since National Park trails are not dog friendly, it was nice to have a place to leave the dog.
- Alpine Motel – Cooke City, MT. Great little dog friendly lodge on the edge of Yellowstone
- White Pine Lodge – Munising, MI. Snowmobilers paradise. Few dog friendly options in Munising, so be prepared to spend a little extra!
- Edge of Town Motel – Sister Bay, Door County, WI
- Sheraton Suites – Cuyahoga Falls, OH. No pet fee!
- Holiday Inn – Austin, MN
- Days Inn – Glendive, MT. Passing through in a rainstorm? This will suffice.
- Extreme Pizza – Breckenridge, CO
- Fire and Ice Smokehouse – Marengo, IL. Dog friendly patio and even brought my dog a water dish, which is always a nice touch!
- Carmelita’s Southwest Grill – Calumet, MI
While bringing my dog along is always preferred, sometimes there are places they can’t go, like in a kayak or whitewater raft! It’s much better to let them stay with a trusted professional than to leave them in your car while you’re off adventuring!
- Lucky Dog – Chicago, IL. My sister and I have both been bringing our dogs here for over 15 years! You can really tell the owner loves what she does and I feel 100% safe bringing my dog here for any amount of time. (Convenient hours are awesome, too!)
- Mountain Parks Vet Hospital – Evergreen, CO
- Hickory Hills Kennels – Madison, WI. Madison is a great adventure hub – I’ve used this kennel when kayaking nearby on the Wisconsin River.
- DogVacay – I had one great experience and one mediocre experience with DogVacay homes, but think of it as Airbnb for your pup!
- UltraPaws Dog Boots – read my review here.
- Ruffwear Highlands Bed
- Ruffwear Palisades Pack – read my review here.
So…what is your pup’s favorite spot?