Here are some of the products I find incredibly useful for travel. Feel free to add to the list in the comments!
- Packing Cubes – I love this Eagle Creek set of 3 packing cubes – they keep your suitcase/duffel/backpack super organized! I use the large one for clothing, medium one for undergarments/accessories and the smallest for toiletries. The fabric is super lightweight, so these are even suitable for backpacking.
- Carry-On Suitcase – I have two favorites when I’m just carrying on.
- Kindle – I was a long-time e-reader holdout – I love my books. But when I filled half a suitcase with paperbacks for a beach vacation, I knew it was time to reconsider.
- LifeStraw water bottle. This bottle is super handy in countries where the water is sketch, and also reduces waste, which I love! So far, I’ve used it in Thailand, Cambodia, Mexico and Panama with no issues. It’s a bit heavy for backpacking , but would make a good backup water system for backcountry trips as well.
I use a Nikon D3000 Digital SLR Camera. My former company was a Nikon distributor, so I got a great deal on a starter kit plus a couple of lenses. It’s probably about time to upgrade…
- Nikon D3000 Camera Body w/ 18-55mm lens
- Prime Lens – the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G is a great travel lens! I love playing with depth of field and this lens does it well.
- Zoom Lens – I use the Nikon 70-300mm for wildlife photography. With zoom, you want the biggest lens you can afford. This was the upper range of my budge and it’s worked well, but a 400 or 500 would be even better! (Although heavier, too!)
- Mountainsmith Kit Cube – I love this padded cube for carrying my camera gear. It fits inside of whatever backpack or messenger bag I prefer to carry.
- Slik Tripod – this is a great option for a beginner tripod. I’ve had mine for several years and it’s served me well. Lightweight, but tough enough for all of my adventures!