It’s hard to believe it’s been a month already! I still just feel like I’m on a vacation and due back at the office at any minute. It’s been a whirlwind month, and I’m looking forward to slowing down a bit more next month.
I started August in Chicago. The 3rd was my last day of employment, and on the 4th I emptied my apartment and headed to my mom’s house in the Quad Cities. After a quick turnaround there, I flew to Europe for 17 days, where I hiked and traveled through the Swiss Alps on the Haute Route.
On the way home from Switzerland, I took advantage of Iceland Air’s layover option and spent 24 hours in Reykjavik. I visited the Blue Lagoon right after landing, spent the night downtown at the Hotel Fron, and in the morning joined Wake Up Reykjavik for a food tour before hopping a plane back to the States.
Flying to O’Hare and not taking the Blue Line to my apartment was kind of weird. Instead, I crashed in a friend’s guest room and the next morning drove back to the Quad Cities, with a detour to LaSalle-Peru to pop in on the annual Criswell family canoe trip. After two more nights in the Quad Cities, I officially started my road trip!
A 6-hour drive brought me to Olathe, Kansas for 2 nights where I was working with the Chamber of Commerce.
After 2 nights in Olathe, I headed West again to Denver. I stayed in the South suburbs for two nights and aside from dinner with Denver-area friends, I used this time to catch up on blog work before heading to the mountains for the Labor Day weekend.
- Miles Driven: 1,685
- Countries Visited: 3 (France, Switzerland, Iceland)
- States Visited: 5 (Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado)
- Hotel Nights: 20
- Hotel Verbier – Verbier
- Cabane de Louvie – mountain hut
- Hotel du Glacier – Arolla
- Hotel Les Mélèzes – Les Hauderes
- Hotel Moiry – Grimentz
- Hotel Trift – Zinal
- Hotel Schwarzhorn – Gruben
- Hotel La Ginabelle – Zermatt
- Movenpick Regensdorf – Zurich
- Hotel Fron – Reykjavik, Iceland
- Candlewood Suites – Olathe, Kansas
- Staybridge Suites – Lone Tree, Colorado
- Expenses: $6613 (Switzerland was obviously a huge expense, but I also still had income in August so my monthly bills are not included here)
- Movers & Storage $725
- Switzerland Trip $5107
- Lodging $67
- Food $120
- Gas $187
- Bailey $263
- Other $147
September will take me to Colorado, Utah and Oregon – stay tuned for updates! (Sign up for my email updates and you’ll get new posts emailed to you each Friday!)
So…how was your August? Any big plans for September? (It’s the best month for travel, in my opinion!)